Wednesday, 23 July 2008

Revelations of Divine Love

I've just finished this book, and I'm struggling for anything to say other than LOVE LOVE LOVE. Not desperately academic, I know, but still.

Saints are awesome generally but Julian really is my kind of saint. Look, she has a cat. All she needs is a mug of tea next to her.

I was maybe a teensy bit irritated by her habit of numbering absolutely everything off, but I love how she strove for clarity. It was so refreshing, though: my heart always does a little dance when I find someone who sees the Christian faith for what it is - love. It's all about love. Who says no to love?

I mention Julian at a university cell meeting once. A girl called Emily screwed up her nose and said, "She's dodge." So I was kind of prepared for some pretty hefty heresy. I know that Julian's perspective wasn't entirely in line with Catholic dogma of the time but she's always rattling on about the "Holy Church." I wonder if she was seen as a heretic. I'll find out next term, I imagine.

I don't think Julian's dodge. I think she's largely right. And it was exciting to see so much of what I'm going for in a Medieval anchorite. The church changes, but the truth doesn't. I like that.

She also has a website. Amazing to think that even anchorite's cells have internet these days.

2 comments:

I got an "A" in Crazy Beeyotch said...

Yeah--Hildegard von Bingen has a myspace page, and a few CD's out (they're pretty good! Check out "Canticles of Ectasy")

I think it's neat that Margery Kempe went to meet Julian; does her book mention this at all? I wouldn't think so, I guess, since she was so interested in spiritual/mystical things.

As for whether or not she was a heretic: the Broadview anthology's snippet on her says that she was a long time anchoress/spiritual director, with probably some [limited] attention from the public. Her written works weren't really noticed at all until Evelyn Underhill, in the early 20th c, but there's an interesting bit here--b/c of the anti-catholic/mystical atmosphere in the 17th c, those that were sympathetic to her views tranferred copies of her "Revelations" (sorry, can't do italics!) to monastic houses in France.

Decidedly Bookish said...

My edition includes an account of the meeting between Julian and Margery Kempe as an appendix. 'Tis a good edition.

Thanks for the comment.